1) Ben Stokes was born and brought-up in Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand and remained there till the age of 12. Later, in 2003, Ben’s father Gerard Stokes moved to northern England.
2) Ben Stokes was a sportsman right from his early days. Not just cricket, the stylish all-rounder also used to play rugby during his school days. “Ever since I was young I have played all sorts of sport, mainly cricket and rugby league. My mum was into her sport, too, and she was more of a cricketer than my dad but he won’t like to hear that,” reported by DailyMail.co.uk.
3) Ben Stokes had to chose between cricket and rugby and it wasn’t an easy call as he was good at both. But, he made a strong call and chose cricket because he was enjoying it more than rugby. “I remember playing a rugby league game at full back and I wasn’t too bothered about people getting past me and scoring so I knew my heart wasn’t in that game anymore,” said Stokes to DailyMail.co.uk.
4) Ben Stokes was a raw talent but his father didn’t have enough money to invest on him and his coaching. But then came someone who secretly spotted Stokes’ potential and offered to play for his coaching. According to a report in Telegraph.co.uk, John Gibson who coaches youngsters at Cockermouth Cricket Club in Cumbria said that the identity is of the secret benefactor is only known to Ben Stokes and his wife Clare Ratcliffe.
5) Ben Stokes got married very early in his life to a girl named Clare Ratcliffe. Stokes now has two kids as well.
6) Ben Stokes wears a sporting garment which holds a GPS tracker in the back, but it looks like a sports bra. Stokes also tweeted about it:
— Ben Stokes (@benstokes38) December 27, 2015
7) Almost every cricketer in the world has a nickname, and after punching the locker and breaking his finger, his England teammates started calling him Rocky and to make more fun of that incident, he was also called The Hurt Locker.
8) Ben Stokes loved tattoos and he has a whole lot of them on his body. His left arm tattoo reads, “Being the best that you can be is only possible if you desire to be a champion and your fear of failure is non-existent.“
9) When World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) came calling to the United Kingdom, Ben Stokes couldn’t hide the fan inside him and payed a visit. And, to make his day even more special, Stokes was given the welcome reserved for the ‘Special Star’.
— England Cricket (@englandcricket) April 20, 2016
10) In the third Twenty20 International (T20I) match against West Indies at Kensington on March 13, 2014, Stokes got out on duck on his first delivery. He was so annoyed with himself that he punched a locked and broke his finger. Consequently, he fractured his finger thus his exclusion from ICC World T20 2014.
“I’m very passionate about what I do and get quite emotional when things don’t go well but on that occasion, it came out in a way that I regret,” Stokes was quoted as saying by Independent.co.uk.