Rajkummar Rao is one of the most talented and versatile actors of Bollywood. He has given many amazing performances and his brilliant acting skills makes him a very well deserved recipient of many awards and achievements. He is one of the rarest talents in the Bollywood industry who has made his space by working hard for his dreams.
Here, we bring you 15 lesser-known facts about Rajkummar Rao. Have a look:
1. Rajkummar Rao was born on 31st August 1984. Well, a lot of people believe that Rajkummar Rao is from South India, which isn’t true at all. He is from a small village in Gurgaon, Harayana.
2. His real name is Rajkumar Yadav. And if you notice there is an extra ‘m’ in his name and this is because of his mother, who is a staunch believer of astrology and numerology. Her mother convinced Rajkumar Rao to change his name for his success.
3. Though not much is known about his family but he has a father, sister Monika and brother Amit in his family. Rajkummar lost his mother succumbing to a heart attack on 11 March 2016.
4. Rajkumar Rao has studied in Sh. S. N. Sidheshwar public school but later switched his school to Blue Bells after Class X in order to improve his English. He completed his graduation from Atma Ram Sanatan Dharma College in Arts.
5. While some people take ages to realize their passion, Rajkumar Rao realized his passion for acting quite early when he was in high school. He took part in a number of theatre with Kshitij Repertory and Shri Ram Centre (SRC) in Delhi.
6. In an interview, Rajkumar Rao revealed that his teacher paid his school fees for 2 years.
7. It was in the year 2008, when Rajkummar Rao graduated from Film and Television Institute of India, Pune and later shifted to Mumbai.
8. Rajkummar Rao was launched in Bollywood by Ekta Kapoor. He began his Bollywood journey with movies like LSD and Ragini MMS. However, Rajkummar feels he got the real exposure of acting when he acted in Kai Po Che.
9. Rajkummar Rao is a big fan of work and so he took the little opportunity he got to work with him. He played a small cameo role in the movie Gangs of Wasseypur II.
10. Rajkummar Rao has been dating Patralekha for more than three years now. They knew each other before they worked together as they both were in FTII, Pune. When they got to work together in the movie City Lights, they fell in love with each other. The movie ‘City Lights’ is special for Rajkummar Rao.
11. Rajkummar Rao struggled a lot because of his looks and skin complexion. He was told that as he was dark, had ugly eyebrows, he wasn’t hero material at all. However, Rajkummar stood strong and only focused on his goals.
12. Rajkummar Rao is a big fan of ‘Mr. Perfectionist’ Aamir Khan. Therefore, he took the opportunity to work with him in the movie Talaash.
13. NH10 is regarded as one of the best performances of Anushka Sharma’s career. It was also the first movie produced by the actress. But not many are aware of the fact that Rajkumar Rao was initially chosen in the main cast but Anushka wanted an actor of his own choice.
14. Besides leaving his mark in Bollywood, Rajkummar Rao has also done a web series. He played the role of Subhash Chandra Bose in Bose: Dead/Alive which was released on JioCinema at ALTBalaji in 2017.
15. Raj was awarded a National Film Awards for Best Actor for his role in “Shahid” (2014). Besides this, he currently has three Filmfare Awards under his name – two best Actor (Critics) for Shahid (2013) and Trapped (2017) and Best Supporting Actor for Bareilly Ki Barfi (2017).
He also received the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Award for Outstanding Performance for his film City Lights. He was also awarded Asia Pacific Screen Award for Best Actor, for his performance in movie Newton.