We, Indians, don’t take too much time in taking offence to jokes and humour. Every day, on the internet, we see an army of trollers (paid and voluntary) giving “knowledge” to almost every celebrity.
In the year 2017, there were many occasions when we, Indians, took offence to things that were not meant to be taken seriously and created a huge social media storm out of it.
In this post, we have listed some of the most “unnecessary” controversies that happened in 2017. We know there are still a few days left and netizens can create many more storms, but let’s hope we won’t have to add any more instances to this list.
1) Ranbir Kapoor and Mahira Khan’s ‘smoking’ hot controversy.
Netizens way berserk when a picture of Ranbir Kapoor smoking a cigarette with Pakistani actress Mahira Khan went viral on social media. While Ranbir was criticised for “dating” a Pakistani woman, Mahira was criticised for “openly” smoking a cigarette. Seriously? Grow up, guys.
2) Sunny Leone’s Manforce condom ad during navratris.
Sunny Leone’s condom ad became a hot topic of discussion because many thoughts it’s unsanskari to display condom ads during navratris. Well, we must start giving importance to condoms because India is not too far behind China in the list of most populated countries in the world. And, honestly, we don’t want to beat China in this.
3) Priyanka Chopra’s meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi
This is, probably, the dumbest of all. Priyanka Chopra, who is making India proud by achieving great heights in the West world, was criticised for wearing a “short” dress while meeting Mr. Modi. It’s 2017 and our women can’t even freely wear what they want to. #Shame.
4) Esha Gupta was insulted, abused and called names for her ‘lingerie’ shoot.
Again, a woman was criticised for wearing her choice of clothes and sharing pictures. For many days, the troll army of the internet abused Esha Gupta for sharing pictures from her lingerie shoot on the Instagram.
5) Cricketer Irfan Pathan and his wife’s selfie.
— Irfan Pathan (@IrfanPathan) July 17, 2017
6) We don’t see any anything insulting or hurting in this post by Katy Perry. Do you?
7) People from Tamil took great offence to this magazine cover because they felt ‘showing legs’ while wearing a bride’s dress is against their culture.
8) Mohammed Shami’s wife was termed un-Islamic for showing her arms. For many days, the moral police force of the internet tortured Shami by hurling abuses on his social media profiles.
Kudos to Shami for standing tall behind her woman and giving no Fs to the troll brigade.
9) #UninstallSnapchat trended on social media for many days after a news article claiming Snapchat’s CEO has called India a ‘poor country’ went viral. A few days later, Mr. CEO revealed that he has never made such a statement. And, the snapchat’s installs increase again. Wow!